Friday, March 11, 2011

Semi Embarassing Fact About Me

For this post, I've decided to share something that I find kind of embarassing about myself. It's really starting to bug me, and I hate how people constantly ask me about it. Ready for this?

Ok, my embarassing fact is that...


I don't have my driver's license.


There. I said it. I am a high school senior and do not have my driver's license. While most people would think this is a stupid thing to be embarassed about, it seems like a big deal to me. Deep down I know that in the big picture of my life this is probably a small thing to be embarassed about. Because when I finally get my license, I know that I'll look back on this and laugh. When I'm fifty years old, it won't really matter that I got my license when I was 18 instead of 16. In fact, a lot of people would probably think it's good that I'm taking my time learning to drive so that when I'm actually out on the road alone, I know more of what I'm doing.

I actually know a few other people my age who still don't drive. Personally I don't find it to be a big deal, but it seems to be a big deal to other people. For the most part I don't really care about what other people think, but when I'm constantly being questioned about it, it gets annoying. I don't mind when people ask why I don't have it yet, because they're probably just curious why I've waited. But when they start acting like I'm some kind of bizarre freak it starts to get irritating.

To be honest, I'm not really sure why I don't have my license yet. I've had my permit for about a year and a half now. One of the reasons I still don't have it is probably because I have a winter birthday, so it's made it harder to get my license. I got my first job last summer so it was tricky to schedule the appointment. It still is due to the fact that I find out my work schedule for the week a few days before I'm actually supposed to work. Another reason is that my dad, who is usually not that overly protective, has this weird phobia of other people driving while he's in the car. I think he thinks that at least if something happens, it's his fault and he feels that by some chance he could have controlled it. Another reason I haven't gotten it is because the parking situation at my school is terrible. You have to run outside during your class and put quarters in the parking meter every two hours. It's either that or park three blocks away, which doesn't sound too convenient to me.

Overall, not having a license really hasn't negatively affected me yet. The only time it gets a little annoying is when I have to take a break at work, but usually for that I ask ahead of time so my parents can grab me something to eat. It doesn't seem to be too inconvenient yet.

The only thing I'm a little worried about is my state required driving class that I took expires in July. So I have about four months to get my license. I'm really going to try and practice once the snow clears up since it's harder to learn to parallel park and k turn in the snow. I'm really going to try. I truly hope I don't have to sit through the five hour class again, because it was torture.

I know that on the day of my driving test, I'm going to be a nervous wreck. It doesn't help that I have a lot of other things coming up in the next few months. Now I'm wishing I hadn't procrastinated on this and done it sooner.

We'll see how this goes.

5 comments:

  1. Oh, relax. I have multiple friends in college who don't have their driver's license.

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't even have my learner's til after I finished high school. Know why? Cos my parents wouldn't let me go for it...
    That really sucked in high school, when all my friends had their learners and I didn't for the unfathomably stupid reason that my parents didn't want me to get it. Unfathomable because my brother got it when he was in high school, so why not me?
    It's not a big deal, true, but when your mates have a go at you like mates often do, it gets old fast.
    But anyway, that was a few years ago, and now I have my opens license and my own car, so I'm not doing too badly now haha.
    But anyway, I wouldn't worry about not having your license just yet, there's bigger things to worry about out there. A lot of people these days, in fact, the vast majority of them, think having a learners permit is some kind of measure of status... pssht, high schoolers :P.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the comments everyone :)
    I know in a few years it won't matter that I waited a little longer to get my license.

    ReplyDelete
  4. hahaha this sounds so familiar. I didn't get mine until a month before my senior year. everyone was always bugging me about. and yea, maybe i shouldn't have procrastinated, but it was no one's business but my own.

    so here's my advice...screw 'em. just don't listen to them. you already have a plan in action, and you don't need to prove anything to anybody.

    and i'm sure you'll do fine on your test! good luck!

    ReplyDelete